Beating The Post-Holiday Blues
As winter stretches out ahead of us and the house seems a bit empty after the holiday décor comes down, January can seem like a bleak month. No need, however, to succumb to the winter doldrums. I like to use January to get organized for the upcoming year and take care of a few of the little details that seem to be so easily overlooked. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
Organize your paperwork: out with the old, in with the new.
- Go through your files and get rid of any paperwork pertaining to 2013 that you don’t need. Set up new files for 2014.
- Got new appliances or gadgets? File the warranties and user manuals in one specific place, and while you are at it, get rid of any paperwork that pertains to things you no longer own. I like to keep all this in one binder or easy-to-access document box.
- Taxes – just do it and get it over with. Organize everything for you or your accountant and set up files for 2014.
Plan: going beyond the New Year’s resolutions.
- On a cold or rainy day, sit down with a paper and pencil and jot down a few things you’d like to accomplish in the upcoming year.
- Write specific to-do lists to correspond with your list of goals
- Set a timeline with deadlines for your projects.
Make your home shine: nothing lifts the spirits like a cheerful looking home!
- Flu season is upon us. Sure you already keep the countertops and tables clean, but don’t forget phones, keyboards, doorknobs, faucets, and other hard surfaces in your home.
- Wash the windows. The cooler temps and muted sunlight of winter will help keep streaks at bay – and the sparkle of those clean windows will brighten your day. If all those windows in your Eichler seem intimidating, do one room a day.
- Have the carpets cleaned or give your tile or hardwood floors an extra deep cleaning.
- Taking one or two rooms each week, organize closets and drawers. Take inventory and get rid of things you no longer use or need.
January is also a great time to start thinking about any remodeling, repairs, or redecorating you’ve been meaning to do on your Eichler home. To give you a kick-start, take a look at our Eichler Remodel Gallery and our Eichler Service Directory. Our Remodel Gallery is full of ideas for every aspect of Eichler renovation from weekend projects to full blown re-dos. Our Service Directory includes trusted vendors who can help you with every aspect of repair or overhaul of your Eichler from design to finished product.