Luckily for all of us Eichler homeowners, Joseph Eichler chose to build in areas of California where winters are mild and summers are pleasantly warm. However, even with our relatively warm winters (no ice and snow!), our homes can often use a little curb appeal boost in the wintertime when skies are grey, trees have lost their leaves, and our landscaping is not always at its best.
Following are a few quick tips to brighten up the exterior of your home that are quick fixes you can enjoy now – and continue to appreciate later when spring and summer bring flowers and greenery.
- Welcome guests with a vibrant front door. Eichlers lend themselves especially well to doors of simple design and bold color.
- Dress up the front of the home with a new mailbox. There are a lot of fabulous contemporary boxes out there that would be perfect for your Eichler home.
- Don’t overlook your house numbers. Take a look at our dedicated house numbers page for some really stand-out ideas.
- Add some pizazz with garden ornaments or potted plants that don’t require the long warm days of summer to look their best. The Retro Bullet Planter comes in a variety of colors and has a hip, vintage look.
- Light up the front and back yards with carefully placed lighting that draws attention to key architectural features or highlights a special tree or landscaping detail of your home. Solar lighting has become very popular and can be a fun DIY weekend project.
Before we know it, spring will arrive and, after that, the days of summer will be here and our landscaping will, once again, be at its most colorful. In the meantime, if the winter blahs have hit, give one or two – or all – of these ideas a try