Traveling For The Holidays? 7 Tips To Safeguard Your Home While You Are Away
The holiday season is beginning and for many of us that means travel is on the agenda. Whether it is a trip to Grandma’s for a few days or a long anticipated vacation to an exotic location, I think we all worry about leaving our home unattended – and never more so than during the holidays.
While having (and using) a home security system is at the top of the list, there are a few simple precautions you can take to help secure your home and give yourself peace of mind.
- Let your neighbors know you will be away. Even if you don’t know them well, give them a heads-up so they can keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary. You might want to share your contact info with them as well.
- Don’t tell the rest of the world you will be gone. Social media is fun, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Post photos and details of your trip after you get home.
- Have your mail held at the post office and suspend newspaper delivery. Nothing says, “We’re not home!” like a week’s worth of newspapers piled up on the driveway. Go to USPS for details on the Hold Mail Service.
- Put lights on a timer – and consider motion-sensitive lights outdoors (don’t forget the back and side yards). Having your inside lights turning on and off throughout the evening gives the appearance that the home is occupied.
- Keep up the routine. Ask a neighbor to take out your trash and recycling bins and bring them back in the next day.
- Keep valuables out of sight. Leaving a few shades open can make the house look more lived in, but don’t put valuables like computers, flat-screen TVs, and other temptations out in view of anyone who peeks in.
And last, but not least, when you leave double check that all windows are doors are securely locked and the home security system is activated