Green Gables Eichlers / Edgewood Eichlers, Palo Alto
Joseph Eichler was one of the first developers to build homes in Palo Alto’s Green Gables neighborhood. Built in 1950, the original Green Gables Eichler tract is an enclave of 63 Eichler homes located along Channing Avenue, Greer Road, Ivy Lane, and Wildwood Lane. In the mid-1950s, Eichler built more homes on Wildwood Lane and Channing Avenue as well as Sandalwood Court and Edgewood Drive, in a part of Green Gables that is sometimes referred to as Edgewood, which takes its name from Edgewood Plaza (the one and only shopping center built by Joseph Eichler).
Designed by Anshen + Allen, the Green Gables Eichlers built in 1950 were smaller homes with living space that averaged 1100 square feet. The 1950 Green Gables Eichlers were based on two floor plans – each with three bedrooms with one bath and either a single-car garage or carport. The later Edgewood Eichler homes were constructed in 1955-56 using somewhat larger floor plans, most of them being 4-bedroom / 2-bath models.
The original Eichler development in Green Gables is, along with Greenmeadow, one of the two Eichler tracts in Palo Alto that have earned a place on the National Register of Historic Places. The register includes Green Gables Eichler homes on Ivy Lane and certain homes on Channing Avenue, Greer Road, and Wildwood Lane. Green Gables Eichlers built in the mid-1950s and the Edgewood Eichlers are not included on the National Register.
Green Gables / Edgewood Eichlers – Fast Facts
Green Gables Eichler homes on National Register: 63
Year(s) built: 1950; 1955-1956 Architect(s): Anshen + Allen
Green Gables & Edgewood Eichlers for Sale
No Eichler listings are currently on the market in this area. Be sure to:
Green Gables / Edgewood Eichler Homes Realtor
Palo Alto Eichler Neighborhoods