Landscaping an Eichler or Mid-Century Modern Home
The California climate provides Eichler owners with limitless possibilities when landscaping their mid-century modern home. While unlimited possibilities exist, there are some general guidelines and tips to keep in mind when designing a landscape or garden to compliment Eichlers or other midcentury modern homes:
- Allow the geometry of the home to guide the overall design of the landscape & garden,
- Select water-wise plants that maintain their foliage year-round,
- Allow hardscape elements to carry from the front yard to the back (including the atrium),
- Repeat the use of certain plants throughout the landscape,
- Consider a water feature,
- Mix materials to create variety with textures (rock, grass, wood, metal, crushed stone)
Eichler and mid-century modern home landscaping pictures are provided below to give Eichler owners ideas for their landscape projects. Additionally, a general guide to common plants, trees, shrubs and groundcover found in modern gardens and landscape settings is provided below. If you have landscaping pictures that you would like to share, please e-mail them to Team@EichlerForSale.com since Eichler & mid-century modern homeowners are always looking for unique ideas and inspiration!
CLICK on any photo to enlarge.
Modern and mid-century modern landscapes and gardens frequently share numerous design elements. The following plants, trees, shrubs, and groundcovers (which are available in many different varieties - consult your local nursery or landscape architect) are popular options for modernist gardeners and landscapers:
Are there other plants, trees, barks, mulches or groundcover you would recommend to owners of Eichlers or other midcentury modern houses? If so, please let us know by emailing your home landscaping project suggestions or modern landscaping pictures to email@example.com.