- MLS® #: 18079676
- 1431 Notre Dame Dr
- Davis, CA 95616-0847
- 3 Bed, 3 Bath, 2248 SqFt, 0.26 Acres
- Office: Re/max Gold, Good Home Group
It is no coincidence that many of the Streng homes found in the greater Sacramento, CA area resemble Eichler homes. Wanting to build homes that were contemporary and different than the typical ranch-style homes of the times, brothers Bill and Jim Streng found inspiration in the sleek homes that developer Joseph Eichler was building in the Bay Area and Sacramento.
Working with architect Carter Sparks, who had worked with Eichler architects Anshen + Allen in the early 1950s, the Strengs began building their distinctive modern homes in 1959. By the time they built their last home in the late 1980s, Streng Homes had built 3,000 modernist homes (as well as almost 1,000 traditional homes) in seven Central Valley cities. Most of the Streng/Sparks homes were tract homes, although they collaborated on individual custom and semi-custom homes as well.
In many ways, Strengs resemble Eichlers. They have the same clean lines, low-pitched roofs, open floor plans, walls of windows, and simple front facades found in Eichler homes. Where Strengs differ is how they accommodate the hot summers found in the Sacramento area. While Eichlers were built with no AC and unprotected atriums, Streng homes were made for the heat with air-conditioning and interior atriums domed with tinted acrylic that helped block the sun.
In addition to single-family homes, Bill and Jim Streng developed what they called half-plexes, which are smaller attached homes that were designed with the same Eichler-style exterior found in the single-family Strengs. The half-plex homes share a common wall, but not necessarily a similar floor plan.
Streng homes are found in close to 40 subdivisions throughout Sacramento and Yolo Counties. In Yolo County, more than 400 Strengs were built in Davis and nearby Woodland. The majority of the Streng brothers’ homes were built in Sacramento County, and can be found in Sacramento, Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks, and Elk Grove.
Streng Homes for Sale
- MLS® #: 18075924
- 4213 American River Dr
- Sacramento, CA 95864-6001
- 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1806 SqFt, 0.2 Acres
- Office: Lyon Re Sierra Oaks
- MLS® #: 18078318
- 7652 Madeline Way
- Citrus Heights, CA 95610-6705
- 4 Bed, 2 Bath, 1963 SqFt, 0.28 Acres
- Office: Storz Realty, Inc.
- MLS® #: 18045984
- 525 Isla Pl
- Davis, CA 95616
- 5 Bed, 2 Bath, 2251 SqFt, 0.17 Acres
- Office: Lowenthal Realty Co.
- MLS® #: 18076535
- 9531 Supreme Ct
- Elk Grove, CA 95624-1825
- 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1997 SqFt, 0.27 Acres
- Office: Keller Williams Realty Folsom
- MLS® #: 18061143
- 1538 Drake
- Davis, CA 95616
- 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1192 SqFt, 0.02 Acres
- Office: Re/max Gold Davis
- MLS® #: 18068341
- 8778 Kelsey Dr
- Elk Grove, CA 95624-1845
- 2 Bed, 2 Bath, 1351 SqFt, 0.19 Acres
- Office: Stanley Real Estate & Investme
- MLS® #: 18053564
- 9421 Skydome Ct
- Elk Grove, CA 95624-1865
- 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1230 SqFt, 0.15 Acres
- Office: Coldwell Banker Residential Br
- MLS® #: 18063392
- 18 Chief Ct
- Sacramento, CA 95833-1817
- 2 Bed, 2 Bath, 1303 SqFt, 0.1 Acres
- Office: Lyon Re Downtown
- MLS® #: 18075424
- 2795 Truxel Rd
- Sacramento, CA 95833-1855
- 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1344 SqFt, 0.14 Acres
- Office: Berkshire Hathaway Homeservice
Contact us for expert representation if you are planning to buy or sell an Eichler, or one of their similar looking “cousins” - a Streng or Mackay home.